Saturday, September 24, 2011

Salt and Pepper is ONE ingredient

Culinary Arts Level One Exam Two.

What are the eleven ingredients in a nicoise salad, not including dressing? Let's review.

Traditional Nicoise Salad

1. Lettuce
2. Potato
3. Egg
4. Tomato
5. Green Beans
6. Green Pepper
7. Tuna fish
8. Anchovies
9. Olives
10. Herb garnish
11. ... ... ... ?

I had studied the salad. Eleven ingredients. The eleventh ingredient was dressing! "Dressing" as one ingredient. What is the eleventh ingredient?  I have finished the exam. I have no idea. What the heck? I am SO frustrated.  I wanted 100%. I needed 100%. However Chef encourages us "don't be the nerd who sits in the front every day", I am a nerd! I want 100%.

I started being creative. With stabs in the dark.
I wrote "Cold Plate". (Not kidding)
"Dressing". (So what if they said "Not including the dressing")
"Salt and Pepper". (Hey, why not, even though it is included in the dressing)
"Lemon". (I should have known that this was wrong)

After the exam, Chef informed us that "Salt and Pepper" is one ingredient.
I hate this type of question. This type of question that is looking to make a point. To teach you a lesson.
So frustrating!

No comments:

Post a Comment