Monday, September 26, 2011

Food and Wine adventure in North Fork

This Saturday Michael and I rented a car, planning to drive out to White Silo Farm and Winery in Sherman, Connecticut. Uncertain of the weather I held off making reservations as suggested on the Travelzoo Local Deal voucher I purchased in May. On Saturday morning I called the Farm and was informed that reservations are required 24 hours in advance --we were welcome to come on Sunday or next weekend. I was a little bit taken aback by the unhelpful, no discussion or exceptions service, but couldn't let it ruin my planning. I hadn't been alone with Michael since last Sunday and we needed to get away!

We left home around 10 AM, made and ditched an attempt to pick up pastries at Cognac (our favorite pastry shop lately) because of traffic, and got on the highway a bit after 10:30 AM. Arriving in North Fork minutes after noon, we had just enough time to visit one vineyard before lunch. We started the day with a tasting at Jamesport Vineyards. Our sommelier was very friendly and talkative and suggested lunch at the Jedediah Hawkins Inn. He tossed a business card across the bar. Michael and I looked at each other, wondering if North Fork was the land of tourist traps. Thank goodness we stopped in!
Jedediah Hawkins Inn
The Jedediah Hawkins Inn is beautiful! We dined in Luce's Landing - their version of a country cafe and wine bar - "a fun, casual dining option with a focus on value and quality". Lunch was a wonderful experience from the moment we sat down in the glass enclosed dining room. Like something out of Country Living or Martha Stewart.
Luce's Landing
Luce's Landing, much like L'Ecole (the restaurant of French Culinary Institute), offers house filtered tap water - still or sparkling. I love this. The waitress delivered a fresh baguette, warmed in the oven, with house churned butter and a very flavorful salt mixture. Delicious. I ordered a perfectly prepared salad (almost like the one I described at Bon Apetit), a homemade hamburger, and a side of french fries. Everything was fresh and delicious. Lunch was the highlight of our day.

The Chef, Keith Luce, was in the semi-open, glass enclosed kitchen and made a few appearances in the dining room. I believe he checked on each table at least once. We very much enjoyed talking with him about his culinary experiences state-side and abroad, and his newest endeavor at Jedediah Hawkins Inn. Here, he is living my dream.
Me, in the front lawn of Jedediah Hawkins Inn

No comments:

Post a Comment