Thursday, September 22, 2011

Destruction

Culinary Arts Level One Lesson Eleven. The Potato. Finding a purposely lost friend - Mandoline. Destruction of my finally normal looking hands, fingers, and nails.

Culinary school is not a girly-girl’s friend. There are no long nails. No fake nails. No polish. So forget weekly manicures... which was, at first, A-OK by me because I have no longer have the money to spend on them. But my hands looked terrible. I had working hands! But finally, after a week of cuticle oil and buffing, Wednesday morning I thought "hey, my nails are looking OK and I'll be able to paint them for tomorrow's gala". Then came Wednesday evening and the Mandoline. Four nice slices on the sides of my thumbs that bled through four bandaids. Three missing fingernails.

Mandolines are some chefs best friends. They provide for quick, even taillage. The mandolines I have come into contact with are my WORST enemy. Particularly when, both in the case of family holidays and culinary education, the mandoline is unloved. The photos below are from Christmas 2010. My three sisters and I were responsible for slicing potatoes for four bowls of au gratin potatoes. We rotated the mandoline, the blood, and the bandaids. 

Christmas Day 2010

Sisters showing off our battle wounds
Old. Blunt. Bent. Etc. Chef tells us (quite honestly) that these mandolines are crap. "You get what you pay for" he says. He recommends purchasing a $200 version and you'll have it for life. Add that to my Amazon.com wishlist.

My favorite recipe from the day was for the Gratin Dauphinois. It reminds me of the gratin we made at Christmas.

Gratin Dauphinois (Recipe adapted from The International Culinary Center Classic Culinary Arts Level One text book)
Yields: 4 Servings (but easily scalable).

Ingredients
6 oz milk
6 oz cream
Salt and pepper, to taste
Nutmeg, freshly grated
1 lb 2 oz firm Idaho potatoes
1 garlic clove, halved
1 oz Gruyere cheese, grated

Procedure
1. Put the milk and cream (we used 12 oz cream) into a sautoir, bring close to a boil, and remove from the heat. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
2. Peel the potatoes. Cut into slices 2-3 mm thick. Place the sliced potatoes into the warm milk-cream mixture as they are sliced.
Note: We actually cut the potatoes and layered them, alternating with salt, pepper, and cheese into the sautoir and then added the cream on top. For small quantities, this works better and is more visually appealing, but you wouldn’t want to do that with 200 potatoes!
3. Once all of the potatoes are in the mixture, return it to the heat. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring carefully so that nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan. Cook until the liquid is thick.
4. Rub a gratin dish with the split garlic clove. Pour the potatoes and just enough liquid to cover them into the dish, layering evenly.
5. Sprinkle the top with grated cheese. Cover with lid or foil.
6. Place the gratin into a 375 degree oven and bake for at least 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
7. Remove lid and allow to brown. Put under broiler if necessary.
8. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment