Monday, October 3, 2011

Monarch Migration on a Perfect Autumn Day

Friday night, Culinary Arts Level One Day 15, was the beginning of poultry. Chicken. Not one of my favorite things, but I don’t hate it like Michael does.  I think I might skip over this one because there are no photos (I forgot my camera) and really no good stories.  I will make the chicken again at home (against Michael’s wishes) sometime this fall and share photos and the recipes then.  

The weekend was beautiful and busy. Sunday morning I woke up and saw the sun shining and a beautiful blue sky. A light breeze came off the East River and through the bedroom window. The air was crisp but not cold. A perfect fall day.  A perfect day for an apple pie and a stroll in the park.

I hopped out of bed and, while Michael made coffee and read on the balcony, made pie dough. It is a quick process in the food processor, but it is super important to get the ingredients in there cold and not to let them warm up on the blade.

My whole life my dad told me, “Have your mother teach you to make pie crust. It is the best I have ever had.” Well, it is true. Last I tried my mother does make the best pie crust I have ever had…. And just last weekend my dad called and said, “You wouldn’t believe it but your mother made the best pie crust she ever made…. I don’t know how she does it.” I don’t think she will ever tell. My mother is amazing in the kitchen, and always improving (if that is possible). And yes, this has made my dad, and the rest of us, food (and pie) snobs. Anyhow, if you are new to pies (or even if you’re just not very good at making pie crust… most people are not), I recommend reading the opening of the pie section in the Joy of Cooking cookbook. There is a wealth of great information in this book if you read it… don’t just pull the recipes. My morning coffee routine is 100 times more satisfying since reading about the French press and learning how to store and make coffee.

When the pie dough was in the oven to chill (at least 30 minutes), Michael and I went out for a walk on a path called the East River greenway. Per NYCBikeMaps, the East River Greenway runs along the East Side from The Battery and past South Street Seaport to East Harlem with a 2.5 mile (4 km) gap from 34th to 83rd streets in Midtown where cyclists use bike lanes in busy streets to get around United Nations Headquarters.

We walked from 83rd Street north to Randalls Island. It was a beautiful day and the sites were magnificent. Happy dogs playing in the sun, soaking up the sun, even lying on park benches. Children playing soccer on Randalls Island. Friends out running.  Couples strolling hand-in-hand. And, perhaps my favorite, Monarch butterflies migrating south to Mexico. I took a bunch of photos and have included some below.  
Bridge to Randalls Island






East River Greenway
If you have young children, check out this website (http://www.learner.org/jnorth/monarch/) and consider tracking the migration in the spring. It is quite magnificent.

No comments:

Post a Comment