Sunday, October 23, 2011

Braised Lamb Shank .... a delicious Saturday night dinner for Michael

Level Two Day Three focused on mixed cooking techniques. The Classic Culinary Arts Level 2 text book explains, "A braised dish (un plat braise), or braise, differs from a stew (un ragout) in that a stew uses more liquid and is mostly utilized with smaller pieces of meat and vegetables, as in a ratatouille." These techniques are very new to me. The only mixed cooking dish I made before entering culinary school was Boeuf Bourguignon by Julia Childs from Mastering the Art of French Cooking. A slightly adapted version is available here online.When I made that Boeuf Bourguignon I did what the recipe asked and it turned out alright, though I didn't really understand what the recipe was instructing.

On Wednesday we had two recipes -- braised lamb shank (jarret d'agneau braise) and rabbit ragout with vegetables and pommes puree. From the looks of these recipes and the types (rabbit?!) and cuts (shank?) of meat, I was slightly turned off. But these recipes were both fantastic! Yes, I just said that rabbit was fantastic! It is kind of like chicken, but a bit more meaty and flavorful. Also, the pommes puree turned out almost perfect.. Chef said, they were "delicious". His word this time, not mine. The secret to delicious potatoes in a restaurant? A LOT of cream, milk, and butter. Let me clarify "A LOT". We used two potatoes for our pommes puree. I added over 4 oz of cream, over 4 oz of milk, and over 4 oz butter. A delicious concoction? For sure! A wonderful dinner for a culinary student.
Rabbit Ragout with Vegetables and Pommes Puree

I am tired... and it is only dinner time!

Next, we finished out the lamb shank. We plated it on top of some lemony currant polenta.

Jaret D'Agneau Braise


This was absolutely a class of first experiences for me. This was the first time I worked with rabbit, or lamb shanks, and couscous  -- I grew up in a a steak and potatoes or lamb and rice or something and pasta home. When I moved out on my own I didn't feel the need to fix what worked. Now I realize that there are so many other options! So when Chef said there were extra lamb shanks and we were welcome to take them home and practice, I ran over to the fridge and grabbed myself a couple -- free dinner for Michael and me.

Saturday night, I made these lamb shanks again... they were so easy to get in the oven and it was nice to have some time to sit and relax and have a glass of wine with Michael before dinner!
Lamb Shanks ready to go in the oven

Dinner time! 
I used a couple variations here based on what I had in the house...  I quickly cooked some asparagus, made pumpkin rosemary couscous with some pumpkin I had cooked for a pumpkin pie, and chopped some leftover beets from lunch and tossed them on top. The finish took less time than it took me to reduce the sauce. The timing was perfect. It was terrific! This really worked out to be the most flavorful, colorful, wonderful meal.

Next time you have still fresh leftovers try tossing them in your standard recipe for something new. Let me know how it goes! As Chef Greg would say, "Great success or horrible disaster?"

No comments:

Post a Comment