Thursday, October 6, 2011

Sauce Bordelaise

Culinary Arts Level One Day 17. Only two more days in Level One. Pork and Lamb. But first, Beef. The group of food that is called beef includes many of my favorite things... tenderloin, roast beef, steak, and hamburgers. Believe it or not, I am really a meat and potatoes gal.
Steak Frites
When I was little my mom would allow us to choose what we wanted for our birthday meals. My birthday is in March so grilled options were not available in Upstate New York. So, as I was limited to winter meat options, dinner was a competition between roast beef with potatoes and green beans, leg of lamb with rice and green beans, and veal chops (I am sure mom remembers what she served with them).

Nothing hilarious or terrible happened. I stayed upright. As I consumed at least sixteen ounces of steak (everything we cooked) and french fries, you probably could have rolled me out of the kitchen. I wanted to share the recipe for bordelaise sauce that we served on a filet medallion. Sauces can really make or break a dish. This one? It was delicious! Enjoy!


Filet de Boeuf et Sauce Bordelaise

Sauce Bordelaise 
(Recipe taken from The International Culinary Center Classic Culinary Arts Level One text book)
Ingredients
For the Reduction
250 g brown sauce (espagnole or demi-glace)
40 g shallots 
3 g cracked peppercorns, mignonette
1 sprig thyme
1 bay leaf
250 g red wine 

For the Sauce
40 g bone marrow, poached
Few drops of lemon juice (optional)
Salt and Pepper
10 g cold butter

Procedure
1. Place all the reduction ingredients into a sauce pan and place it over medium heat. Reduce 80%, add the brown sauce, and cook for 10 minutes.
2. Pass the sauce through a chinois and add salt and optional lemon juice; the lemon juice is used to accentuate the flavors, but it should not dominate. 
3. Bring to a simmer, remove from heat, and monte au beurre.
4. Poach the marrow by plunging it into lightly simmering salted water. Cook for several seconds and refresh in ice water.
5. Dice the poached marrow and add to the sauce. 

Marrow is a little bit much for some (including me), so if you don't like it, don't do it. It won't kill the sauce and it is a whole heck of a lot of fat anyway. But absolutely don't skimp on the butter! 

No comments:

Post a Comment